Sunday, 15 January 2012

Early Work - political cartoons

Daughter and I spent part of the holiday season at my father's house. While rummaging around in his loft for my bits and pieces I was surprised and delighted to find piles and piles of my old artwork, some of it from school days in the 1970's, but also a great deal of my oldest professional work from my London studio in the 1980's. In those early days I shared a studio in Crouch End with illustrators Jane Ray and Willie Ryan, and graphic designers Chris Millett and Andy Royston. The collective, named Façade Studios, enabled me to work on a very wide range of material from press editorial to posters, as well as my main career of children's books. I haven't seen most of these pieces since I left for Japan in 1987.

Here's something very much of the period, though also timing nicely with the new movie on Margaret Thatcher. Some editorial cartoons, all from 1984/1985.

Lest we forget!
Ronald Ray-gun

Arthur Scargill's dream

The Sinking Pound (Norman Tebbit, Geoffrey Howe, Maggie Thatcher)

Christmas 1984

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Ha!! I remember them days!! I was commemorating the miners strike in art too at the time, obviously a hot topic. Mine was a ceramic vase with a portrait of each leader on opposite sides. Love it! :)

sunnylove said...

Interesting and well done cartoon andcomics, like it so much! Patek Philippe Calatrava

Bonnie D.Valencia said...

I think other web site proprietors should take this website as an model, very clean and great user genial style and design, as well as the content. You're an expert in this topic!
Kids Toy Chest in Natural